Sneezing is a sudden and forceful expulsion of air through the nose and mouth. Sneezing is the involuntary reaction the mucus membrane situated in the nasal channel. During the process of sneezing, the mucus membranes present in the nose get irritated and force the air out through the nose. The sinuses become free of the accumulated phlegm which gets thrown out.
Sneezing is your body’s way of cleaning out the nasal passage and discharging irritating particles like dust of pollen. Sneezing is normal if it happens 2 or 3times a day. But if it continues to longer periods the condition needs medical attention.
Ayurveda and Sneezing Cure
Ayurveda considers allergens such as dust, pollen and dander often trigger the sneezing. The accumulation of Ama, the toxins or wastes leads to the condition. Ayurvedic treatment focuses on boosting the digestive fire, modify the diet to support efficient metabolism, detoxify and restore the body’s resistance power. Ayurvedic treatments have a holistic approach to address the body, mind and the spirit for healthy living.
Symptoms Of Sneezing
The most common symptoms of sneezing are running nose, blocked nose and water may flow from the mouth.
Causes Of Sneezing
- Sneezing is caused due to irritation of the mucous membrane in the noses or sinuses. It is commonly due to eating or inhaling some allergic substances.
- Certain food stuff such as ice-cream, cold drinks, banana, curd can induce
- A cold draft of air or a cold humid weather precipitates sneezing.
- Sudden change in climate
- Corticosteroid inhalation
- Exposure to sunlight
- Drug withdrawal
Ayurvedic Remedies For Sneezing
- For patients suffering from chronic sneezing, Ayurveda recommends oils namely Anu taila and Shadabindu taila.
- Medicine Haridra khanda can effectively cure sneezing.
- One tablet 3 times daily of Luxmi Vilas Ras (Nardia) effectively controls sneezing.
- 1 to 2 tablets of Septilin 2 or 3 times a day as per physician’s instructions
- To control sneezing, take 2 drops of Badam Rogan on the palms, rub and put it in both the nostrils. Take a deep breath.
- Shirodhara, Ayurvedic therapy can effectively cure sneezing.
- Roast 1 teaspoonful of gram flour with 1 teaspoonful of ghee. Add to a cup of milk and 4 or 5 almonds. Boil it for 2-3 minutes. Drink this at bed time. Avoid drinking water after that.
Other Advice For Sneezing
- Patients should be in warm atmosphere
- Avoid direct exposure to heat or cold.
- Consume a lot of water and liquids.
- More fruits and many vegetables should be consumed as they are rich sources of bioflavonoid. These natural chemicals have the potency to curtail sneeze causing histamine in the body.
- Consume leafy vegetables to ensure regular bowel movements.
- Garlic should be taken raw or fried in ghee as well as in combination with other vegetables in daily diet. Eating 10 cloves 3 times a day produces good results.
- Turmeric, black pepper and ginger are also helpful.
- Avoid bananas and curd.
- Avoid exposure to smoke, dust, excessive cold wind or rain and also polluted environments.
- Avoid fried food.