Tuberculosis (TB, short for Tubercles Bacillus) is a common infectious disease. It is often deadly and is caused by various bacteria. It usually attacks the lungs and the infection spreads through air and transmitted by coughing sneezing etc. It can affect the bones, intestines, lymph nodes and eventually the brain. If it is not treated this deadly disease can kill half the victims. It is characterized by the irritating cough in the mornings.
Ayurveda for Tuberculosis
Tuberculosis is known as Rajyakshma in Ayurveda. Tuberculosis is seen as the result of the body’s decreased resistance to diseases. Fever in the evenings and below normal temperatures in the mornings and night sweats are noticed in the patients of tuberculosis. When the infection gets to the intestines improper digestion, noise in the abdomen and persistent ache can result. Diahorrea and inability to get out of bed is seen in advanced stages. The disease then attacks the bones and the spine.
Symptoms Of Tuberculosis
Causes of Tuberculosis
This disease is caused by bacteria known as Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Filth, malnutrition and poverty can reduce the person’s immunity making them vulnerable to infections. Other causes are living in crowded areas with inadequate ventilation and sunlight the conditions that are favorable for bacterial infections.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Tuberculosis
- The juice of Vasa (Adathoda vasica) leaves is an effective remedy for tuberculosis.
- Swarna Vasant Malati is used when there is fever and sweating in the palms and the soles of the feet.
- Naradiya Mahalakshmi Vilasa Rass is a highly effective medicine with traces of gold.
- Drakshsava is administered in one ounce doses after mixing with water after meals.
- Rudanti is given in a dose of 2 gm twice a day to reduce the intensity of the disease.
- Amritsava is a helpful drug in treating tuberculosis.
- Chyavanaprasha Avaleha is prescribed for strength.
- Praval Pishti is a useful drug in treating tuberculosis.
- Panchana Rasa and Muktapachamrita are given in combination on a daily basis.
- Sitopaladi and Chandramrita are mixed with honey and used as linctuses.
Useful Herbs For Tuberculosis
- Amla powder in a dose of ½ teaspoon daily with water, one hour before or after meals is helpful in treating tuberculosis..
- Garlic is boiled with milk and water and the thick extract is given to the patient twice a day.
- Pippali is another effective remedy. One teaspoonful of pippali powder is mixed with honey and given three times daily.
- Ashwagandha, Amalaki, Abhrak Bhasma, Madhu Malini, Guduchi, Shatavari and Yashtimadhuk are some other Ayurvedic medicines that are useful in the treatment of tuberculosis and to prevent its recurrence.
- Kanchnaar, Kanchnaar Guggulu, Triphala Guggulu are other medicines used to treat tuberculosis affecting the glands.
Diet For Tuberculosis
- Drumstick, Bottle Gourd, and mint are some vegetables beneficial for recovery from TB. Fruits like orange, Pineapple, Custard apple are helpful. Milk should be taken as it contains calcium which is needed for the health of the bones.
- Prevention and advice
- More of milk and eggs should be taken by patients.
- Dry fruits especially grapes and almond oil can help in building immunity.
- Curd, banana and guava must be avoided.
- Patients should consume cow's milk and its products
- Adequate physical or mental rest is necessary.
- Patient should have good ventilation and sunshine.