When your hair is devoid of its natural oil and moisture it becomes dry and lacks the sheen and soft texture. There are oil glands in the scalp which produce sebum. This sebum serves to keep the scalp moist and hair shiny. Loss of these oils causes drying of the scalp and hair. Problems like frizzy hair and dandruff soon follow.
Dry Hair Remedies
There are several safe and natural and herbal treatments for dry hair.
Dry Hair is Caused Due to the Following Reasons
1. Excessive shampooing
2. Exposure to chlorine in swimming pools
3. Excessive exposure to air and sunlight
4. Hair treatments involving excessive use of heat and chemicals
5. Nutritional deficiencies- deprival of the body of vital nutrients such as vitamins and minerals causes dry hair and hair fall.
6. Poor health of hair due to serious illnesses
7. Chlorinated water in swimming pools and hot tubs can also cause dry hair.
Remedies for Dry Hair
1. Limit the use of shampoos on hair: In a bid to keep hair squeaky clean, we often end up over shampooing hair. Essential oils are lost and we end up with dry and damaged hair. Use of shampoo for dry hair should be limited to one or two washes per week. Shampoos with an appropriate pH balance help control damage to hair. Mild baby shampoos are ideal for use on dry hair
2. Prevent over exposure of hair and scalp to the external environment by using caps while in the swimming pool and when in the sun
3. Take care to avoid salon treatments with exposure to excessive heat, hot rollers and chemicals.
4. Ensure inclusion of nuts, green leafy vegetables and seeds in daily diet.
5. Use home remedies for dry hair regularly.
Home Remedies for Dry Hair
1. Mix egg yolk with 3 spoons of olive oil and a little water and apply on scalp and hair. Cover with shower cap for an hour and wash with mild shampoo.
2. Heat equal quantities of olive, coconut and castor oils. Part hair into small sections and apply the oil with a wad of cotton all over the scalp. Soak a towel on hot water and wring dry. Wrap the warm towel around the head. Repeat 3-4 times. Wash hair with mild shampoo
3. Soak fenugreek seeds overnight. Grind the seeds into a paste with sour curd. Apply over scalp and hair and keep for 30 minutes. Wash off with baby shampoo.
4. Mix 100 ml of vinegar with 100 ml of water. Use as a conditioner after shampooing hair.
5. Apply low fat mayonnaise to dry hair. Let soak for 1 hour. Wash with mild shampoo.
6. Eat vitamin-A rich foods and fruits with an orange color, such as mangos, cantaloupe, papaya, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Dark green, leafy vegetables like spinach and kale are also recommended.