Body odor is one of the unpleasant things that can affect anyone’s social life and confidence. The odor is caused by the bacterial that grow on the skin releasing the bad odor. The sweat helps the bacteria to multiply. The sweating process keeps the body cool and the sweat glands help to eliminate the toxins from the body. The most affected areas are the armpits and genitals where perspiration is more than any other part of the body. Deodorants may temporarily hide the unpleasant smell but will aggravate the problem because they contain chemicals and metals that promote the accumulation of bacteria. There are several home remedies that can help you to get rid of body odor and perspiration safely and effectively.
Symptoms of Body Odor
Heavy sweating after physical exercise can indicate body odor later on. Sometimes body odor makes people feel nervous too.
Causes of Body Odor
1. There are various causes of excessive perspiration and the inevitable body odor.
2. Prolonged or chronic illness like kidney disease or fungal infection of the liver
3. Certain foods and beverages
4. Menopause in the case of women
5. Excessive secretion of hormones
7. Drug or medication usage due to the presence of strong chemicals
9. Alcohol use and smoking can also cause body odor
10. Poor hygiene in areas like the groin and armpits
Home Remedies for Body Odor
1. Wear cotton clothes so that they can absorb and helps to evaporate sweat and prevent accumulation of toxic matter on the skin.
2. Apply baking soda on the armpit as it absorbs sweat and kills bacteria.
3. Take bath frequently to keep the body cool and prevent excessive sweating.
4. Rosemary has antibacterial properties. A few drops of the essential oil of rosemary can be added to water and applied on the areas with excessive perspiration.
5. Add a few drops of rose water to the bath water. This the most popular home remedy for treating body odor.
6. Take bath at least three times during summer to avoid perspiration.
7. Use baby powder instead of deodorants as they are harmless.
8. Rubbing the juice of grated turnips helps to reduce the odor in the armpits for about 10 hours.
9. Wash the armpits with alcohol or vinegar the areas like armpit to prevent body odor as it can reduce the pH of the skin and prevent bacteria as they cannot live in low pH areas.
10. Drink sage tea daily as it can reduce excess perspiration.
11. The tea tree oil mixed with water can be used as a spray. This is an antibacterial herb that effectively controls body odor.
12. Chew parsley or alfalfa leaves as they help in neutralizing body odor.
13. The chlorophyll content of wheat grass is beneficial in treating body odor. It should be eaten on empty stomach followed by drinking a glass of water.
14. Apply the mixture of juice of tomato and fresh sage leaves on the areas before bath as it is one the most effective treatments for body odor.
15. A home made deodorant can be prepared and stored in the fridge for spraying on the affected areas daily to prevent body odor. Mix quarter teaspoon of glycerin to the juice of about two dozen radishes to make this deodorant.
16. Apply peanut butter in the underarm area before bath in summer to fight body odor.
1. Eat foods that are rich in fiber like sprouts, soy products, nuts and fresh fruits and vegetables to maintain proper metabolism and elimination of toxins.
2. Avoid white flour, refined sugar and hydrogenated oils in your diet.
3. Avoid alcoholic drinks and red meat as they release toxins in the blood stream leading to body odor.