Cholesterol is synthesized by the liver and intestine however, as much as 20 percent of the cholesterol found in the body comes from the food materials that we consume that could include meat, eggs etc. It is an animal steroid and the most abundant steroid found in the animal tissues and mostly occurs naturally in all parts of the body. It plays a central role in many of the metabolic activities of the body. It is a structural component found in the mammalian cell membrane. It establishes membrane fluidity and permeability.
Though cholesterol is an essential fat and a building block for some of the hormones including the sex hormones; it becomes a dangerous matter once its quantity increases more than the required in the body and becomes a threat to the life. The two types of cholesterol are Low Density Cholesterol (LDL) and High Density Cholesterol (HDL). LDL causes various heart diseases and is known as bad cholesterol. HDL is called as good as it facilitates sending the unused cholesterol back to the liver.
Causes of Cholesterol
1. Consuming fatty and oily food products
3. Stress and anxiety
4. Drinking and smoking in excess
5. High blood pressure
7. Sedentary life style
Symptoms of Cholesterol
1. Pain in the leg while exercising
2. Narrowing of the arteries of the coronary of the heart leading to angina problems
3. Rupturing of the plaques which can lead to thrombosis of the coronary
4. Thick yellow of deposits of the cholesterol around the eyes and all around the skin. This condition is called xanthomas
5. Rupturing of the blood vessels
6. Formation of blood clots
Home Remedy for Cholesterol
1. Fish increases the HDL number development because of the high omega 3 contents in it.
2. Application of mudpack over the stomach helps the liver to function well and improves the activities of kidneys.
3. Consuming Soybeans, kidney beans, navy beans and lima beans in the daily diet is helpful in reducing the cholesterol levels. The beans contain pectin which is very effective in keeping the cholesterol levels in control.
4. Mix some coriander leaves in the water you drink and keep it as such for some time. Daily drink this water to lower the level of cholesterol in the blood.
5. Onion juice helps to regulate the actions of heart, purify the blood and improves the digestive system. It also lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood. Daily intake of onion juice is very beneficial for the treatment of cholesterol.
6. Daily drinking of at least 8-10 glasses of water helps to stimulate the actions of kidneys and hence lowering the amount of cholesterol in the body.
7. Take 10 sticks of cinnamon of around 2.5 centimeters in length and boil them in a glass of water. Add to it one teaspoon of honey and drink it hot. It lowers the cholesterol contents in the body.
8. Drinking grape juice everyday is one of the very effective home remedies for cholesterol. The enzymes in grapes are keeps the cholesterol under control.
9. Avoid oily and salty food items and bakery products like cookies, crackers and snack cakes as they increase cholesterol levels.
10. Take a glass of milk and boil it when it is hot enough adding to it a piece of garlic and drink it hot. It reduces the cholesterol level in the body and also works well in the pain of heart.
11. Make sure to eat two carrots a day, as carrots can reduce the cholesterol levels by ten to twenty percent.
12. Having a healthy breakfast is the best way to start the day. Skipping breakfast leads to building higher cholesterol levels.
13. Have many smaller meals instead of few large meals. This is a good way to keep your cholesterol levels in control.
14. Increasing the consumption of foods rich in Vitamin C is a proven home remedy for treating cholesterol. Citrus fruits, strawberries, potatoes, apples, spinach and tomatoes are foods with high content of vitamin C.