Environmental conditions like wind, extremes of hotness and air-conditioning exacerbate dryness in the skin. This cause the skin to flake, chap and feel tight. Dryness in the skin rises when the level of sebum, which is a natural skin lubricant, falls. This results in flakes and itchy skin which sometimes may bleed. Since dry skin is more susceptible to have wrinkles, the fine lines appear early on such skin. This type of skin looks dull, particularly on the cheeks and about the eyes. There can also be tiny air lines at these areas and at the comers of the mouth. Dry skin requires particular care and attention. This is necessary for people with dry skin to avoid the common conditions that dry skin is susceptible to.
Causes of Dry Skin
1. Bathing too frequently, especially with harsh soaps.
2. Exposure to forced air furnaces, wood-burning stoves, space heaters and fireplace. They all reduce humidity and make the skin dry.
3. Environmental changes and weather changes, especially in the winter when cold air outside and heated air inside causes low humidity.
5. Use of non-moisturizing soaps containing harsh chemicals as they dehydrate the skin and reduce moisture content of the skin
6. Exposure to harsh weather also contributes to dry skin.
7. Medicines like diuretics remove water from the body.
8. Ichthyosis is a rare genetic disease that may cause dry skin.
Symptoms of Dry Skin
1. Rough and dry surface of the skin, instead of smooth
2. Loss of plumpness
3. Dullness in the look of the skin
4. Tightness in the skin after showering, bathing, or swim
5. Flaking, scaling, or peeling of the skin
6. Itchy feeling which may become so intense it may interfere with proper sleep
7. Calloused (toughened) skin
8. Skin appears shrunken or dehydrated
9. Fine lines or cracks
11. Deep fissures that may bleed in severe cases
Home Remedies for Dry Skin
There are several natural remedies that are not only cost effective, but also highly effective and easy to use.
1. Massaging the face regularly with almond or olive oil every night is a good home remedy for dry skin.
2. Rubbing honey all over the body and leaving it for ten minutes before taking bath is a good home remedy for curing dry skin.
3. Soaking in a tub filled with warm water mixed with milk is very effective in treating dry skin.
Apply a fine combination of 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon of orange juice, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, few drops of rose water and some drops of lime juice, on the face in the morning 15 minutes previous to taking bath. This is very helpful home remedy for dry skin.
4. Baby lotions are the best moisturizers. You can use on your skin to protect your skin from harsh chemicals.
5. Rub sesame oil all over the body lightly after shower.
6. Apply a mashed ripe banana on the face and neck. Leave it for some time and then wash the face with lukewarm water.
7. To cure dry and chapped, manipulate lips with a little cream of milk and add few drops each of rose water and lime juice each night before going to bed.
8. Drink at least 8-10 glass of water everyday to keep the body hydrated.
9. Eat food rich with vitamins A, B and E, as they bring an inner glow to the skin.
10. Petrolatum jelly, lanolin, mineral oil and dimethicone are a common emollient which helps to avoid dryness in the skin.
11. Humectants, including glycerin, lecithin, and propylene glycol, draw water into the outer layer of skin and treats it from dehydration and dryness.
12. Rub oat meals on the hands and wash off after some time.
13. Use warm water for bath instead of hot water as it can make the skin drier.
14. Use only soaps made with natural ingredients.
15. Consume oil fish like salmon regularly as they are rich in essential fatty acids, and also help to get rid of dry skin.
16. For treating cracks in the heels rub the inside of a banana peel on your heels.
Include spices such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander generously in your diet to soothe and relieve dry skin.
17. Get at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep every night as lack of sleep can affect the skin.
18. Exercising is a good way to prevent dry skin as it helps in opening up the pores and keeps it hydrated.