Hair fall is one of the most common of problems. Many factors contribute to hair loss and the most prominent among them are stress, illness, surgery and pregnancy. Each hair goes through a process of growth, rest and final fall. So hair fall to a certain extent is normal and there is nothing to worry. But excessive and prolonged hair fall needs medical attention.
Causes of Hair fall
1. If the hair fall happens immediately after an illness or after a major surgery it is temporary and will stop automatically.
2. Hormonal imbalance can also cause hair fall. It can be cured by correcting the hormone imbalance. This is true in the case of hair loss post natal phase.
3. Heredity is one of the factors that cause hair fall. The male pattern baldness is a good example of this phenomenon.
4. Poor nutrition and irregular eating habits also weaken the hair.
5. Certain infections can cause hair fall like fungal infections affecting the scalp. This can be treated by using antifungal treatments.
6. Side effect of medication can also cause hair fall. The hair fall stops when the medicine is stopped. Medicines like anticoagulants, bright control pills, anti depressants and excess of Vitamin A are some of the medicines that may cause hair fall.
7. Hair loss can also be an indicator of an underlying disease like diabetes.
8. Use of wrong hairstyles that pull the hair such as pig tails, wearing cornrows etc. may also damage the hair and cause hair fall.
Symptoms of Hair Fall
1. Bunches of hair on the pillows, clothing and hair brushes indicate severe hair fall.
2. In men the hairline starts receding and in women thinning of hair over the scalp can be noticed.
Home Remedies for Hair Fall
1. Grind Hibiscus leaves with water. Use the watery paste shampoo plus conditioner for hair.
2. Make a mixture of the powders of Amla, Neem and Shikakai with curd and lemon juice. Apply the paste on scalp and wash off with water after 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Fenugreek seeds should be soaked for 3 hours and ground to a paste and add Aloe Vera juice and curd. Apply this on the hair and wash it off. This is a good hair conditioner and should be done twice a week.
4. Massaging the hair with coconut oil for 15 minutes helps in increasing the blood circulation in the scalp and making the hair roots strong.
5. Olive oil massage also is beneficial for in preventing hair fall.
6. Massaging the scalp with coconut milk once a week.
7. Rubbing raw onions on the scalp before bath is also helpful in stopping hair fall.
8. Massaging the hair with castor oil once a week helps in strengthening the hair.
9. Eat foods containing vitamins, iron, protein, calcium, iodine, antioxidants and carbohydrates.
10. Avoid using hairstyles that harm the hair. Avoid combing when the hair is wet. Use towel to dry the hair and avoid hair dryer.
11. Pranayama helps as it enhances the utilization of oxygen by the cells.